Caramel Pecan Sticky Buns
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown muscovado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 2/3 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 23 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- To prepare caramel, combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; stir frequently until butter melts. Continue cooking until mixture thickens and becomes smooth (about 1 minute), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; pour into the center of a 9-inch square baking pan; quickly spread caramel onto pan bottom using a spatula coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pecans; cool to room temperature. Lightly coat sides of pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 5 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Roll dough into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface; spread 2 tablespoons of softened butter over dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends). Cut into 16 (1-inch-wide) slices. (A) Place slices, cut sides up, in prepared pan (rolls will be crowded). Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until rolls are light golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes on rack. Place a serving platter upside down on top of pan; invert onto platter. Serve warm.