Fresh Lemon-Coconut Cake
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1. For cake, heat oven to 350 degrees; coat 2 (9x2-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
- 2. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy.
- 4. Add sugar; beat 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 5. Beat in yolks, one at a time.
- 6. Beat in lemon zest and juice and vanilla.
- 7. On low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with sour cream (in thirds), until combined.
- 8. In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- 9. Fold into batter; spread in prepared pans.
- 10. Bake 32-34 minutes.
- 11. Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; turn cakes out.
- 12. Cool completely.
- 13. For lemon filling, In saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- 14. Whisk in water, yolks and lemon juice.
- 15. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.
- 16. Remove from heat, whisk in butter until melted and smooth.
- 17. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; let cool to room temperature.
- 18. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread filling evenly over top of layer; cover with remaining layer.
- 19. For frosting, in a heatproof bowl, mix all ingredients except extracts and coconut.
- 20. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat 1 minute.
- 21. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch water.
- 22. On high speed, beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 7 minutes.
- 23. Remove bowl from heat; add extracts.
- 24. Beat 5 minutes, or until frosting is cool.
- 25. Frost cake.
- 26. Sprinkle with coconut.