Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Vanilla-Rum Custard Sauce
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted
- 1 pound(s) (about 10 cups) brioche or challah loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 1 can(s) (15-oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup(s) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) pumpkin-pie spice
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup(s) dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Vanilla-rum custard sauce, recipe below
Vanilla-Rum Custard Sauce
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon(s) dark rum
- Make the Bread Pudding: Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with butter.
- Bake bread cubes in a roasting pan, tossing several times, 15 to 20 minutes or until bread feels dry and slightly firm. Transfer cubes to a large bowl. Turn off oven.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin-pie spice, vanilla, rum, and salt. Add bread cubes, tossing to coat. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover; chill overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place baking dish in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife tests clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack until warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve with vanilla-rum custard sauce.
- Make Vanilla-Rum Custard Sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream and milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge. Slowly whisk cream mixture into yolk mixture; pour back into saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring constantly, until sauce coats back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes or to 170°F. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and rum. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Serve warm or cold.